TDE/DSA - Lore / World / NPCs - English players

Fragen und Diskussionen zu DSA und Aventurien.

TDE/DSA - Lore / World / NPCs - English players

Beitragvon Farflame » Sonntag 7. Oktober 2012, 18:11

Hello to all. I would like to continue good old English lore forum. There were few interesting topics discussed recently, so I think it would fine to continue here (its related to Aventuria lore).
---------

Topic - Leonardo and baloons invented in Gareth.

Teichdragon hat geschrieben:
+ SPOILER
Gareth had ONE balloon ("Der Adler", "the eagle") which Leonardo invented. But he had to stop researching this idea due to an order from above. I am not sure if this balloon or the 14 ones on the evil side have been adressed later.
And i think it's up to the players how they "arm" theyre one and only balloon in this adventure.

Why someone want to stop the production? Because Leonardo's skills could be used better?
+ SPOILER
Did the heroes use this one baloon to get on board of Kholak-Kai?

----

Topic - Quanion quest

Gwydon hat geschrieben:Well, even though the book is yet to be finished, I think I can answer at least some of your questions without violating my NDA.

I didnt know that you are employed in this field. Are you one of TDE writers or someone from the other staff?

Gwydon hat geschrieben:
+ SPOILER
1032 BF: .... The Messenger of the Light calls Lechmin von Hartsteen from her exile and sends her out to visit temples. She is to make sure that mundane protection of the temples is ensured.

If Lechmin got this honorable assignment, does it mean that Braniborians (preaching universal justice for all) gets stronger in Praios church? I assume it will make some tension between noble class and the church...

Gwydon hat geschrieben:
+ SPOILER
1033 BF: Light and darkness. The power of the archdemon Blakharaz grows, and he begins to act in the battle of light vs. darkness. But the church of Praios also brings back an important figure in this game: Great Inquisitor da Vanya who had been missing in action for years is saved by a part of adventurers.

+ SPOILER
Could you please reveal a little more about the fate of real Da Vanya? If Mantrakim abducted him, why didnt they kill him when they intended to replace him by one of their kin for ever. Or does it mean that he wasnt held captive? Maybe lost somewhere or turned to stone? I know you cannot tell the whole truth - just some hint, please.

-----

Elves:

Individual elves had different lifespan and its said that they usually die when they fulfill some destiny, a purpose in life. What if some elf finds his destiny to be some "evil" deeds, even against different elven clan? What if this elf feels he is some kind of embodiment of zerzal principle - he leave his clan and destroys/kills because he feels its some act of balance. i wonder if elven society would punish him for his deeds or just accept his "destiny" and let him wander the world?
Farflame

Re: TDE/DSA - Lore / World / NPCs - English players

Beitragvon Theaitetos » Sonntag 7. Oktober 2012, 18:43

@Braniborians:
I am not sure if "strength" is important, especially at this time. The existence of the different factions just serves the practical purpose of allowing internal struggles (making the church less monolithic) and to give an idea of different characters in the church of Praios. The most extremist Braniborians, the Confessors, have been declared heretics by the Envoy of Light.

@Amando Laconda da Vanya:
+ SPOILER
Da Vanya was held captive and it was planned to "turn him around" slowly; first by the Mantrakim, later by a servant of the Nameless One. In "Broken" (Zerbrochen) he was found by adventurers and they helped da Vanya free himself from the "dream" he was captured in mentally. Now he is free and returned to serve as Grand Inquisitor.
Theaitetos

Beitragvon Stefan Unteregger » Montag 8. Oktober 2012, 08:57

Farflame hat geschrieben:Topic - Quanion quest

Gwydon hat geschrieben:Well, even though the book is yet to be finished, I think I can answer at least some of your questions without violating my NDA.

I didnt know that you are employed in this field. Are you one of TDE writers or someone from the other staff?

Gwydon speaking here; I'm writing this from my new account (in the old forum, my real name was written in small letters underneath my nick). I am the TDE writer who coordinates the ongoing publication of Quanion's quest; I also write parts of the campaign book Lightseeker .

Farflame hat geschrieben:
Gwydon hat geschrieben:
+ SPOILER
1032 BF: .... The Messenger of the Light calls Lechmin von Hartsteen from her exile and sends her out to visit temples. She is to make sure that mundane protection of the temples is ensured.

If Lechmin got this honorable assignment, does it mean that Braniborians (preaching universal justice for all) gets stronger in Praios church? I assume it will make some tension between noble class and the church...

During the quest, Braniborians grow in numbers, their ideas and fresh thinking appeal to many, but bring them in conflict both with nobility and the more traditional elements in the church. As Theaitetos pointed out, their radical part, the Cofessors, starts preaching offensively against the church hierarchy and the Messenger of the Light. As a consequence, the Cofessors are branded heretics in 1034 BF; many Braniborians, Lechmin among them, distance themselves from the Cofessors and recant some of their more radical ideas. Others go into hiding (!). The final outcome of this theological struggle will be revealed in Lightseeker:The Quanion Quest.

Farflame hat geschrieben:
Gwydon hat geschrieben:(about Great Inquisitor da Vanya)

+ SPOILER
Could you please reveal a little more about the fate of real Da Vanya? If Mantrakim abducted him, why didnt they kill him when they intended to replace him by one of their kin for ever. Or does it mean that he wasnt held captive? Maybe lost somewhere or turned to stone? I know you cannot tell the whole truth - just some hint, please.

Theaitetos answered that already (thanks! :)), just a bit more details about this (Spoiler for the Scenario Broken and for theological aspects of the Quest):

+ SPOILER
In Broken (Aventurischer Bote 144), da Vanya can be rescued from a relinquished temple of a Mantra'Kim cult. He lies in a stone basin filled with a magical poison that induces a dream-filled stasis to keep him under control and to subvert his mind. During his captivity, a high-ranking servant of the Nameless One tries to use the opportunity to break his mind and convert him to his dark god (this is why the stasis continues even after the cult of the Mantra'kim was rooted in the computer game Drakensang). The players have to enter da Vanya's mind, fight against both the poison-induced nightmare creatures and the shadows of the Nameless One, recover several "shards" (aspects of da Vanyas soul and personality) and bring them together so that he recalls his name and identity. This gives him the strength to break free from the stasis.
After da Vanya is rescued, he has to defend himself against accusations that he was corrupted by the poison, the foul magic of the Mantra'Kim and/or the Nameless One. It takes some time, but eventuelly the Inquisition finds him untainted and he retakes his position as Great Inquisitor. During his mental captivity, he took refuge in visions and prayers that gave him a glimpse of truth about the Quanion Quest - he is one of the first to speak about a "fourth pillar" (there are three pillars of faith in the church of Praios: Light, Truth, Law). The question what this Fourth Pillar may be is one of the major theological questions during the Quest.
Stefan Unteregger

Beitragvon Nightwind » Montag 8. Oktober 2012, 16:07

Farflame hat geschrieben:Elves:

Individual elves had different lifespan and its said that they usually die when they fulfill some destiny, a purpose in life. What if some elf finds his destiny to be some "evil" deeds, even against different elven clan? What if this elf feels he is some kind of embodiment of zerzal principle - he leave his clan and destroys/kills because he feels its some act of balance. i wonder if elven society would punish him for his deeds or just accept his "destiny" and let him wander the world?

It depends imo on how far that elf takes his destiny.. I think most who accept they are weapons of elvenkind, made to defend and kill, become tharas, the warriors. That doesn't include fighting other elven clans, since they could always talk to each other and come to an agreement of sorts; the elvish desire for peace and harmony doesn't let them fall back on aggressive solutions easily, especially with those they trust share that desire. Usually an elf who kills other elves will be banished (as it is known to have happened to Ancoron Katzenzorn, an elf who killed another in a fit of rage).
Nightwind

Beitragvon Farflame » Mittwoch 7. November 2012, 04:00

Stefan Unteregger hat geschrieben:Gwydon speaking here; I'm writing this from my new account (in the old forum, my real name was written in small letters underneath my nick). I am the TDE writer who coordinates the ongoing publication of Quanion's quest; I also write parts of the campaign book Lightseeker .

Nice. Thanks for the info. I wish you and your team a fruitful work. 8-)

Stefan Unteregger hat geschrieben:During the quest, Braniborians grow in numbers, their ideas and fresh thinking appeal to many, but bring them in conflict both with nobility and the more traditional elements in the church. As Theaitetos pointed out, their radical part, the Cofessors, starts preaching offensively against the church hierarchy and the Messenger of the Light. As a consequence, the Cofessors are branded heretics in 1034 BF; many Braniborians, Lechmin among them, distance themselves from the Cofessors and recant some of their more radical ideas. Others go into hiding (!).

Braniborians - did they have especially big influence in some town or country? (before they were branded heretics).

Stefan Unteregger hat geschrieben:about Great Inquisitor da Vanya...

+ SPOILER
In Broken (Aventurischer Bote 144), da Vanya can be rescued from a relinquished temple of a Mantra'Kim cult. He lies in a stone basin filled with a magical poison that induces a dream-filled stasis to keep him under control and to subvert his mind. During his captivity, a high-ranking servant of the Nameless One tries to use the opportunity to break his mind and convert him to his dark god (this is why the stasis continues even after the cult of the Mantra'kim was rooted in the computer game Drakensang). The players have to enter da Vanya's mind, fight against both the poison-induced nightmare creatures and the shadows of the Nameless One, recover several "shards" (aspects of da Vanyas soul and personality) and bring them together so that he recalls his name and identity. This gives him the strength to break free from the stasis.
After da Vanya is rescued, he has to defend himself against accusations that he was corrupted by the poison, the foul magic of the Mantra'Kim and/or the Nameless One. It takes some time, but eventuelly the Inquisition finds him untainted and he retakes his position as Great Inquisitor. During his mental captivity, he took refuge in visions and prayers that gave him a glimpse of truth about the Quanion Quest - he is one of the first to speak about a "fourth pillar" (there are three pillars of faith in the church of Praios: Light, Truth, Law). The question what this Fourth Pillar may be is one of the major theological questions during the Quest.

+ SPOILER
- Did that high servant of Nameless One putted him into that poison basin, or the cultists did it? I wonder why the cultists held him alive. To turn him into servant of the cult? Sounds a little strange to me... they already have replacement working in da Vanya's position.
- After the events of Drakensang game and before rescue of captured da Vanya - was there appointed new Great inquisitor?

Nightwind hat geschrieben:It depends imo on how far that elf takes his destiny.. I think most who accept they are weapons of elvenkind, made to defend and kill, become tharas, the warriors. That doesn't include fighting other elven clans, since they could always talk to each other and come to an agreement of sorts; the elvish desire for peace and harmony doesn't let them fall back on aggressive solutions easily, especially with those they trust share that desire. Usually an elf who kills other elves will be banished

What if this elf share some bond with an enemy of the clan? What if he refuse to fight this enemy or act against him for personal reasons? Should he be punished by the clan? Is elven society able to accepts his motives?

Nightwind hat geschrieben:... (as it is known to have happened to Ancoron Katzenzorn, an elf who killed another in a fit of rage).

How it happened? Its written on wiki that he was tortured by Archon Megalon, but not much more.

------
- I recently stumbled upon some incomplete info regarding Rastullah's revenge. When the heroes (and pilgrims) defended the Fire egg of Heirs of wrath in Keft oasis, what did they do with the Egg? Did they leave it in Rastullah's temple in Keft? (And dragon cultists are afraid of Rastullah so they dont try to attack Keft anymore?)
- And why did Rastullah told his believers to get this Fire egg?
Farflame

Beitragvon Stefan Unteregger » Mittwoch 7. November 2012, 09:01

Farflame hat geschrieben:Nice. Thanks for the info. I wish you and your team a fruitful work. 8-)

Thank you. :) We're trying our best to make this one a really great (and big) campaign setting.

Farflame hat geschrieben:Braniborians - did they have especially big influence in some town or country? (before they were branded heretics).

Braniborians per se are not branded heretics, only their radical subgroup, the Confessors. Both spread out from the area of Greifenfurt (Lechmin von Hartsteen, one of the key figures in the Braniborian movement, was Illuminata of Greifenfurt, fell into disgrace and was forced to resign her office and to exile herself in contemplation. She did so, setting up camp in the ruins of the cloister Arras de Mott in the Darkencrest (Finsterkamm) mountains. She attracted a lot of followers there, resulting a) in a growth of numbers in the Braniborian movement, and b) in the founding of the Confessors.

Generally speaking, Braniborians have influence especially where they can reach a large number of peasants. Since nobility, higher clergy and officals usually are sceptical of them (at best), their political clout is limited. "Hotspots" of their activity can be placed in every rural area in the Middenrealm where you need it; the movement consists to a major part of wandering preachers. In addition, Braniborians can be found in larger cities where they seek to give a voice in the courts to those that can't afford a lawyer. Gareth is one example where Braniborians are quite an important figure in the local legal system.

A bit more info about the development of the Braniborian movement:
+ SPOILER
During the Quanion Quest, the influence of the Braniborians grows continually (as their numbers grow and their opponents in the more traditional movements are shaken badly by the disappearence of the Light). Some major disputes of the Quest are based on the conflict of Braniborians vs. Traditionalists (and, in some cases, Legalists). The radicalisation of the Confessors is a major problem for the Braniborians because it gives their opponents an opening to attack them and brand them heretics as well. This is one of the reasons why so many Braniborians recant and distance themselves from the Confessors' teachings after the verdict of the Inquisition.

The Confessors, on the other hand, never seem to get much influence (but you can have one of them whip up an uprising or civil unrest wherever you need it). Before they can really gather their forces, the Inquisition descends upon them. However, there are people who sympathize with their teachings (maybe out of personal conviction, maybe because the Confessors' preaching against the Messenger of Light serves some peoples' political interests).

Farflame hat geschrieben:about Great Inquisitor da Vanya...

+ SPOILER
- Did that high servant of Nameless One putted him into that poison basin, or the cultists did it? I wonder why the cultists held him alive. To turn him into servant of the cult? Sounds a little strange to me... they already have replacement working in da Vanya's position.
- After the events of Drakensang game and before rescue of captured da Vanya - was there appointed new Great inquisitor?

+ SPOILER
The cultists did. It was never explained why exactly they did it (frankly, the meta reason was that we did not want to kill off da Vanya just because he was used in the computer game and we had to explain how he managed to remain hidden for years even after the cult had been destroyed). Probably they needed him alive in order to harvest something from his body that the doppleganger would have needed to keep up his masquerade for a longer time, or maybe they hoped to break his will and turn him into a servant of the cult. Also, da Vanya is one of the leading experts on dark magic and heretical cults, he would have been a great source of information. In addition, the cult never planned to have him in the basin for such a long time - it's just that the cultists where killed and da Vanya remained where he was. He would have died there sooner or later (the basin was not constructed to keep him alive for years), but a witch found him and, trying to help, but not daring to alert the authorities ("hey, I'm a witch and I'd like to report a poisoned inquisitor... no, I just found him, I didn't... put away these torches!"), she added potions and healing herbs to the fluids in the basin. This kept da Vanya alive (and, without her knowing, gave the servant of the Nameless One more time to try and subvert da Vanyas will).

No Great Inquisitor was appointed while da Vanya had vanished. It can be assumed that one inquisitor of the inner circle assumed the formal responsibilities as a stand-in and/or that the Messenger of Light made really important decisions himself when necessary. No official details about this are published, so you'd be free to determine the details of the vacancy in own scenarios.
Stefan Unteregger

Beitragvon Farflame » Freitag 21. Dezember 2012, 20:59

Stefan Unteregger hat geschrieben:However, there are people who sympathize with their teachings (maybe out of personal conviction, maybe because the Confessors' preaching against the Messenger of Light serves some peoples' political interests).

Do you hint there is some strong agenda against Messenger of Light/Praios church within nobles or other churches or powerfull persons?

---------
- In Drakensang there is a book telling story about big chasm that opened in the market of Fasar. And near the hole there were many dead orcs. Could someone explain this strange event? There is little hint that this event may be somewhat connected to Phileasson, but nothing more. Maybe its just an misjudged idea of NPC.
- I stumbled upon elven word "telor". What does it mean? Some tips - Redhead? Stranger?
- Common myth about Ancient dragons says they are ancient guardians of different elements of the world (6 in Alveran, 6 in Dere). I wonder if dwarves, hard enemies of dragons, share this mythological concept. I assume they have different idea about these mighty and legendary dragons. :-)
Farflame

Beitragvon Sina Leska » Freitag 21. Dezember 2012, 21:42

"Telor" is a term for "human". It literally means something like "rose ear", which refers to the round shape of human ears.
Sina Leska

Beitragvon Varana » Freitag 21. Dezember 2012, 23:15

Last question: I think so, too.
They seem to strictly separate Pyrdacor from the others. According to their legends, they were created specifically to prevent Prdrax (Pyrdacor) from getting the treasures of the earth (gems and precious metals). The other five Ancient or six High Dragons seem to never have played any role in Dwarven mythology.
Even Famerlor, the High Dragon responsible for the eventual (although, according to the Dwarves, temporary) downfall of their arch-enemy is not an important part of their legends. In the Second War of Dragons, when Pyrdacor was defeated, only the Amboss Dwarves really fought on Famerlor's side; the others held out in their subterranean cities. Because some remnant dragons ignored Brendan's pact after the war and attacked Xorlosch, the Dwarves there even came to the conclusion that not much had changed (and therefore probably didn't need to acknowledge Famerlor's victory).
I'd guess that Famerlor has to appear in their myths as one of the not-so-bad guys, but I doubt that they have developed the same idea of the (other) Ancient Dragons as essentially benevolent or at least indifferent guardians or even companions of the gods.
Hey, I'm no scientist, but I thought there were supposed to be two sides to every story: Mine and Wrong. -Stephen Colbert

Technology is an art form, not an exact science like magic. - Baladas Demnevanni

Posts mit mehr als 3 Zitaten lese ich nicht.
Varana

Beitragvon Farflame » Montag 31. Dezember 2012, 20:48

Varana hat geschrieben:In the Second War of Dragons, when Pyrdacor was defeated, only the Amboss Dwarves really fought on Famerlor's side; the others held out in their subterranean cities.

Really? Amboss dwarves was in contact with Famerlor or his dragon envoy?

Varana hat geschrieben:I'd guess that Famerlor has to appear in their myths as one of the not-so-bad guys, but I doubt that they have developed the same idea of the (other) Ancient Dragons as essentially benevolent or at least indifferent guardians or even companions of the gods.

I think that most dwarves see war between Famerlor and Pyrdacor as a strugle for power between two enemies. Famerlor just eventually fought against dwarves' archenemy. Enemy of their enemy is not a real friend for them.

- Regarding the mystery of Fasar's chasm - noone knows anything? It should happen in 1018 BF. In Drakensang there is written:
"In the year 249 of the Lord Rastullah, Our August Malik Bey, Ruler of the True Believers in Fasar, took himself to a market far below in the dark alleys to see what kind of demonic gorge it was that had opened up there overnight. For that was what had caused such a commotion in the city: An immense crater had opened up in the middle of the the Peddlars' Market during the night. This black chasm, which had spewed dirt, rubble, foundation rock that was now strewn far into the surrounding alleys, was about 60 paces in diameter and many, many paces deep. The cause could not be seen - but because there were dead orcs everywhere around this huge hole, the inhabitants soon gave it a name: The Fasar Orc Hole."
And about connection to Phileasson:
"But by Rastullah's beard, I can announce this valuable discovery: The Fasar Orc Hole is the work of those strange red-haired Northlanders and their companions. I am sure that further research will lead us the the City of the Elves, whose traces Phileasson Ben Foggwolf was following at the time..."

------
- How did Selindian Hal die? I saw just one note that he died in Finsterkamm in 1034 BF, nothing more.
Farflame

Nächste

Zurück zu Hintergrund (DSA4 und älter)